Sunday, February 04, 2007

Why do we do this to each other?

The world can be an ugly, ugly place. I just saw the movie Blood Diamond. I knew something about the diamond industry and how it has funded or endorsed horrible carnage and civil wars in certain parts of Africa, which I learned from Human Cargo, a CBC miniseries back in 2004. But seeing the images of the child soldiers was so wrenching. There are few things I can imagine are worse for the future of any nation or the world, than to not actually kill children but to render them senseless to violence, to pain and to humanity by virtue of forcibly turning them into soldiers. I cried a lot. Because it is not something that happened 100 years ago, and boo hoo, well, at least that's over. This something that is still happening TODAY. UNICEF has a bit of information about it. It makes me sick to think about it. It is hard to go about everyday, easy life when you know things like this are taking place - I guess it is my job to do what I can, in my own way. I guess I am not in equity studies for nothing, at least I hope not.

No comments: