Sunday, February 11, 2007

What is normal?


Is it worth having expectations? I stand by the idea that having expectations, while, yes, can lead to disappointment when they are not fulfulled, but can lead to even better things by starting out on the right path. So I do have expectations. And I am open to the idea that I may be disappointed (and working on my response, thereby) but also open to the idea that by starting with a certain framework, I can build from it. So when someone breaks open my framework a little, I take pause, I think, hmm, is this normal? Is it strange that I feel strange? It is odd that what he is doing makes me feel odd? No, no and no. If the framework cracks a little, then it isn't right, for me. So I question it, I feel it out, I poke around. Say, "hey, Mr. Strangeguy, why are you doing that? What do you expect me to do now? I feel like I am not understanding you." And if the answer is amenable to my concerns, like, "Gee, I didn't realize, does this make you feel weird? Let's try it a different way", well, that's alright. But if the response is, "Hey, this is me, deal with it" then my framework cracks a little more and needs a lot more mending. On its own. Without Mr. Strangeguy. All this to say, sometimes the expectations of one person do not match with the expectations of another. And imagine, we even speak the same language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.