Friday, July 03, 2009

A mountain of a challenge and success!

First of all I want to invite you to view some photos from the journey at http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=265760&id=527490065&l=24c42d6b8a. Let me know if you can't access them.
It is hard to sum up a week of my life into words. I am still processing the whole experience. I would say that the summit day was the most physically and emotionally challenging day of my life. I am going to keep it short today and reflect some more before I share with the blogosphere, but basically the first 4 days were amazing hiking through a variety of ecosystems and climates, including rainforest, semi-desert, "heather", and then the summit with the glaciers.
In brief, the summit day begins at midnight and the next 6-7 hours are spent huffing and puffing up a grey, rocky 45 degree angle in the dark with only a headlamp. It was a tough, tiring cold slog and the summit is welcomed with the sunrise coming up beside us. I nearly didn't make it but my guide John was tough on me, didn't let me lay down to sleep as I wanted, thankfully. Good thing I am obedient.
So I did it! Well, I made it to Stella Point. Uhuru, with another 150 m to go, was just too much further... next time?? Nah, I am happy with what I did! :)

No comments: