Saturday, June 06, 2009

First post from Arusha, Tanzania

Hello friends and family!
This is my first post, after being here a week, not including 12 hours in Kenya and an 8 hour bus ride from Nairobi to Arusha. I have so much to tell you so I realize I had better commit to at least weekly postings, if not more. For those of you that read Amber's blog from her trip here last fall, I regret that I doubt my postings will be that long or detailed. Sitting at a computer for more than an hour is rather tedious and the internet is sloooow, at times. Not my regular life, but not much of it is here!
Here are a few tidbits to tantalize you:
- I am staying, at least for now, at Volunteer House, in Sakina, Arusha. It is quite fancier than what I had expected, with proper flush toilets and often hot showers. I am in a room of 4 women, on bunks and while the space it tight, we all seem to get along well. We are expecting a new roommie this evening to replace the Irish doctor who left after 3 weeks, which, for her, included establishing the beginnings of a med clinic for remote Maasai people - see I told you I have so much to tell you!!
- The other volunteers range in age from 19-39, from all over the world, and here for all sorts of reasons. But even my first night I was able to engage in a thoughtful and critical conversation about foreign volunteerism, African culture and the expectations of "Westerners", and power. Quite interesting.
- I am currently teaching full time at a local English- based school, very close to where I am staying and they seem to want to give me whatever I would like. So far, I have 3 or 4 French classes a week - which is a bit confusing when I leave the school and people address me in Kiswahili! I am also teaching several levels of English and some social studies, although that may change as my knowledge of African politics and geography is to be desired. The school is small and private and while is it certainly the barebones compared to what we have at home, I don't necessarily feel I am doing the best work for why I came here. For example several of my co-volunteers are working in orphanges, for AIDS, for special needs, for Maasai women, etc. The children at my school seem rather priviledged, and even yesterday (was it yesterday??) a student asked how much I would charge to teach him English after school. An honour, certainly, but seriously?? On the whole the students are lovely, work very hard and do not seem to take education for granted in the way ours do, often.
- The town of Arusha is yet to be explored in great depth - today perhaps. I teach until 3pm
and really it is best to be back home by 6 or 630pm to be safe. We can taxi home in the dark as long as we are in a group. Mzungu is the word heard most often - meaning Western, or White, person - and sometimes it is said as a greeting, or a comment or sometimes even somewhat aggressively, although that is rare. I would say the majority of my encounters with locals have been overwhelmingly positive. I have a particular story to tell you but it will have to wait til next time, for a few reasons... now are you curious??? ;)
- I saw my first view of Mt. Kilimanjaro, through the clouds yesterday. It was truly a site and I got chills up my spine. Eventually, all being well, I will say that I have looked at the world from the top of it. The plan is perhaps the end of June, as a number of us Vols are interested together, which would be nice, and much cheaper. Arusha is at the base of Mount Meru, and while it is impressive, it's lack of snow and wilder (ie. animals, less paths) reputation does not call to me in the same way. Kili first, then who knows from there.
... This is getting longer than I thought...
- My journey here from Canada was on the whole uneventful, quite comfortable and the most bothersome thing about it was the VERY smelly man who sat beside me on the flight from Zurich to Nairobi. Thankfully the plane was half full and I was able to move and take up a short row to myself, for napping. The bus from Nairobi to Arusha was simply a stunning ride, with not a moment of sleeping. Maasai with their herds around every bend, the landscape, the interspersal of bumpy roads and slick highway (when the driver certainly took advantage of highspeed motion!).
- The food here is alright - favourites include beans and maize (forget the name of this meal), AVOCADOS the size of a child's head which are incredibly tastey and beautiful (may never, sadly be able to eat one at home again!!), bananas, cheap beer are all good. Missing my usual dose of yoghurt and ice cream in my diet, and a post-dinnner group journey to the grocery store for little ice creams is an evening outing. I am trying to stay healthy, walking and running when possible, but the air is a bit thinner and much more polluted than home so a slower pace is prefered for sure.
So, that is my week in a very small nut shell.
I will do this again in a week and if you write me individually I will do my best to reply in time.
I miss Canada, and friends and family, but I am very much enjoying my adventure here on my own (with a bunch of random foreigners ;)). Too early to be homesick, me thinks!
Big hugs to all!
Peace,
Erin in Arusha

2 comments:

Spogmai said...

Wow Erin this is amazing! You are such a soldier girl and I am so proud of you :) :). XOXOX spogmai

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.